After mixing of ingredients, dough was quite wet and sticky.
After kneading for 8mins by hand - More flour was added during kneading to prevent dough from sticking to the kneading surface.
After proofing for approx 1 hr in the oven, dough was double in size and still very sticky.
Dough was punched down to degas, divided into 8 portion and shaped into balls.
After the balls of dough rested for 20mins, start rolling dough into flatbread.
This is the best ones that I rolled out.
Preheat oven to 500 for 15mins. Reduce to 450 before baking for 3 mins. Dough puffed up nicely.
Recipe source: The Fresh Loaf - Pita Bread
Ingredients that I used:
- 1.5 cup unbleached white flour (Anita’s Organic), 1.5 cup whole wheat flour (Anita’s Organic), may be more for kneading
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- slightly more than 1.25 cup (between 1.25 and 1.5 cup) warm water (98f)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Simple steps: Mixed all ingredients until a ball is formed --> Knead by hands for 8 to 10mins –-> Proof until double in size (60 to 90mins) –-> Punch down to degas –-> Divide the dough into 8 portions and shape into balls –-> Rest the dough for 20mins –-> During resting, preheat oven and baking stone to 500F, reduce to 450F when baking starts –> Roll out dough –> Bake for 3mins
- Very good recipe. Bread tasted great and is simple and easy to make.
- Dough was really sticky. I added almost <1/4 cup of flour during kneading to prevent it sticking too much on the countertop when kneading.
- No problem getting them puffed up. I think the key is roll it out thin and preheat the baking stone.
- The first one got some blisters because baking stone may be too hot. But after that, every pieces turned out nicely.